Thursday, August 9, 2007

Dog Advice


A few weeks ago, Mark was taking his afternoon walk when he happened across two kids up the street who had set up shop in front of their house. Mark moseyed on over to see what they were selling. The first was selling lemonade, and being the good guy he is, he naturally bought a glass.

He wandered over to the second girl and said, What are you selling?

Dog advice, the girl told him.

Dog advice? Mark must have been flumoxed, because instead of promptly making up a funny question about dogs, he said no thanks, and walked off.

No thanks?

Turning down an eight-year-old's dog advice has got to be one of the coldest acts in the world. Which Mark now realizes. I have ribbed him endlessly about his failure to do the right thing and just pony up a buck and see what dog mysteries the kid had to reveal.

Today, when I was out for my pitiful 13 minute jog, the lady of the house was in her yard with her little dog.

I stopped and asked, is this the house where the kids are selling dog advice?

Excuse me? she says.

I explained the background, and told her Mark's been feeling bad about not buying the dog advice ever since that day. We want some dog advice, I said. Can we still get some?

She laughed and said we can drop by any time this weekend and get our fill. I'm hoping to go get me some on Saturday. Let me know if you have any good questions.

4 comments:

Kate Cohen said...

Ask how to get a Rottweiler from believing that he owns the sidewalk in front of his house and that all other dogs are trespassers -- I'd pay a buck for that.

Michelle said...

good one. I hope this kid knows what a rotweiler is. She has a pug.

Mark said...

anyway, the dog advice is only 50 cents.

I should have asked what kind of dog is best to attack a stupid girlfriend who won't stop mocking you for one dumb oversight.

Michelle said...

Baah.