Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Becoming Franny

We had a nice long weekend celebrating Franny's birthday. She made most of our entertainment choices including, as Michelle noted, seeing "Becoming Jane" at the Meridian 16 downtown. That was the fourth viewing for Frank and Gina. One was plenty for M&M.

One surprise: Fran announced her yearlong experiment with being a vegetarian is over. Just in time for a delicious barbecue on Sunday. Grilled tofu just isn't the same. Besides, for a vegetarian, I noticed, Franny didn't consume a lot of actual vegetables, just avoided meat. To my eye she seemed more like a donutarian. Of course I tried to support her in that whenever I could. That's just good parenting.

On Sunday night we had a family poker game, and fittingly Franny kicked all our butts. My favorite hand was when Michelle made an enticingly small bet into a biggish pot, and with a look that I knew meant she had a monster hand. I folded, Gina folded, and Franny calmly called. Michelle turned over a full house, all proud of herself. Franny displayed her hand: four queens. Yes!

I think Team Mark sent the wrong player to Las Vegas this summer. But if there's ever a World Series of Sorry! you can deal me back in. I managed to keep my winning streak intact in our weekly rematch of everyone's favorite childhood board game.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

I'd like to point out that my full house was natural, threes and jacks, and Franny's quads actually involved two wild twos. Not that it didn't still kick my butt, I'm just saying.

Mark said...

wow ... complaining about a bad beat by a 13-year-old, and in a wild-card game? that's some bad luck right there, baby.

you're lucky she didn't check-raise your ass.

Anonymous said...

As to gaming...it's tough to lose.
Glad to hear, Mark, that you can still win a game of Sorry - your forte since about age 8.

As to parenting....only the best kind of dad knows how to handle donutarians.

As to butts getting kicked...Michelle knows that you must always go down having the last word.

freda said...

hey Michelle,

now you know how I felt the first time you beat me at arm wrestling and chess.