Monday, September 24, 2007

M&M Film Fest

Seeing Val's post yesterday about "3:10 to Yuma" made me realize Michelle and I have been a little negligent in keeping our film-viewing habit currently recorded. Between the theater, the Tivo and DVDs we watch a lot of movies, and we've seen a couple of decent things lately that we haven't blogged.

Like Val and Laurie, we saw 3:10 a couple of weeks ago and both liked it more than we expected to. I thought it fell apart just a bit at the end, but for the most part it's a tight, taught psychological drama as well as a cool old-west action pic, with terrific acting and screen presence by Russell Crowe, Christian Bale and, almost unrecognizable, Peter Fonda. Gretchen Mol, not so much. 3 gliomas.

Of course the movie's a remake of a 1957 western "classic" of the same name. We had never seen that one, with Glenn Ford and Van Heflin, so we Tivo'd and watched it a day or two later. Yeah, classic and everything, and good-looking black and white, and without the unlikely ending of the remake, but neither of us liked it as much. I was much more drawn in by Russell Crowe, especially. 2 gliomas for the original.

A week or so ago Michelle suggested we see "Chalk," a Spinal Tap-style mockumentary about several new high school teachers. Unlike "This is Spinal Tap" or the other Christopher Guest mockumentaries "Chalk" isn't loony; in fact it doesn't mock it's subject at all. It's more like a real documentary, only with actors and a script. The points it makes about the difficulties of being a new teacher, both in and out of the classroom, feel real and poignant. The characters are great. 3 gliomas.

What have you seen lately, dear readers? Freda mentioned in a comment that she had just seen and enjoyed "The Bourne Ultimatum." Us too.

What else?

2 comments:

freda said...

I saw La vie en rose, it was really good, though I don't understand how they could have done a movie about Edith Piaf's life without even mentioning world war II, which was the most life impacting event ever for anyone in Europe at the time.

Mark said...

Ooh, good one. I saw part of it when we were in New York a couple of months ago. Michelle was working so I went by myself, but I got caught in a tremendous downpour with no coat and I was completely soaked. I made it most of the way through the movie, but finally I was too cold and wet to stand it anymore, so I went back to the hotel for a shower.

I thought it was really good too.