Monday, August 25, 2008

Michelle Speaks















I realized half way through that I wanted to jot down the key words in the speech. Apologies that these notes are therefore incomplete:

in my own small way
see
that's why

i believe that each of us
has something to contribute
working block by block
help people
lift up their families
welfare to jobs
women get equal pay for equal work
fighting

see
that's why
to end the war
to build an economy that lifts
to make sure health care
too make sure
world class education
he'll achieve these goals
how alike we really are

you see

see

that's just not how he sees the world
he knows
he knows
one nation
neighborhoods in chicago,
hope to the mother
hope to the man
hope to the student
hope to people

barack understands
barack will fight
barack will bring finally the change

see

The barack obama I know
he's the same man
(chuckle)
(heh)
determined
determined
the affirming embrace
(sniffle)
as i tuck that little girl in
you see

this time
we listened to our hopes
dreaming
this time
a girl from the south side of chicago

single mother

white house

the world as it should be

my father's memory
my daughter's future
triumphs

everyday sacrifices
work together
hopes

See?

THX to Amy Jeffries for posting this photo under the creative commons license.

2 comments:

Kate Cohen said...

Nice.

Anonymous said...

No trite term unturned, I see.