Monday, November 10, 2008

Best movies, A to Z


In another nod to The Cooler (and because I feel guilty about not participating in the awesome Politics & Movies Blogathon), I recommend checking out Jason's latest meme, a list of favorite movies, by letters of the alphabet.

It's tougher than it sounds. Forces some difficult choices.

Here are mine. Feel free to add yours here or over at The Cooler. Or both.

Annie Hall
Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid
Chinatown
The Deer Hunter
Easy Rider
Fargo
The Godfather
Heat
It's a Wonderful Life
Jaws
The King of Comedy
Lawrence of Arabia
Magnolia
North by Northwest
On the Waterfront
Pulp Fiction
Quiz Show
Raging Bull
Singin' in the Rain
Taxi Driver
Unforgiven
Vertigo
The Wizard of Oz
X, Malcolm (a cheat, I know, but I'm thinking of the poster)
Y Y tu Mama Tambien
Zodiac

And a bonus, beginning with a number:
2001: A Space Odyssey

6 comments:

LiteralDan said...

That's a solid list, for sure, though I haven't seen all of them. My only exception would be North by Northwest, which I found surprisingly unimaginative and overrated.

I can't think offhand what I'd put in the N slot, though, so I guess I'm of little use.

freda said...

y tu mama tambien

i missed that one, that's what you could get me for xmas a cd

Mark said...

literaldan: Thanks for the comment. It's funny, I woke up thinking that "North by Northwest" was a questionable choice. It's "classic," but I don't know if it's really one of my Desert Island Discs, in the sense that Jason set this up over at The Cooler.

Not sure where to go, though. Maybe "No Country for Old Men"?

freda: You've got it.

Mark said...

Wait. I want to make another change.

For H, "A History of Violence," one of my favorites, instead of "Heat."

Other lists?

Anonymous said...

Mark, are you ever going to post your "Jessica Simpson" story.

Jason Bellamy said...

See, "Easy Rider" would be the film I respect but wouldn't care to have on my island. I considered "North by Northwest" and "No Country for Old Men" before going with "The New World." Oh, and of course I considered "The Natural," too.

Good list. Though your latest change for "H," makes me think I need to coax you into a "WTF" debate for The Cooler. Not sure when I'll get to it, but "A History of Violence" is definitely on THAT list.

Hey, speaking of which ...

There's a whole new A-Z list challenge!