Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Brain food

On my way to the Mariners game today I was running early, so I decided to stop at the Krispy Kreme next to Safeco Field and grab a donut and then take it down to the Starbucks a block away and sit down for a little pre-game treat.

While I was in line for my coffee some fit-looking dude in front of me was picking out a salad. That annoyed me for some reason. I started thinking about all the billions of books written on the subject of healthy diets for people with cancer, and that annoyed me some more. Maybe the guy in line has a head full of tumors, who knows, but since my diagnosis I've been going the other way.

My philosophy has been: shit, I've got brain cancer, I might as well enjoy myself. As I've always said, you gotta die of something, and if it turns out that what gets me is donuts or ice cream cones and not the cancer, well I guess that's a deal I'll take.

The result has been that I've gained some weight -- I'm up to about 195 as of my last doctor's visit, the most I've ever weighed. Of course you've got to take into account that old thing about muscle weighing more than fat. ... If I had any muscle at all I'd be 220. But seriously folks.

So I enjoyed my donut and coffee, and then my big juicy hot dog.


Screw you health freaks.

No comments: