Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Take me out to the ballgame ...

... is what I said when I got up this morning. But nobody responded, Michelle having gone to work and all, so I answered myself: Sure bud, let's roll.

The Mariners were playing a rare day game, against the Minnesota Twins, and the weather's beautiful and the Ms weirdly aren't terrible this year. It was a genius idea, and I was thrilled to have such excellent company.

I bought a $10 ticket from a “scalper” outside -- this was below the list price and much less than a hot dog and beer inside -- and found my seat. After an inning or two in the third deck, and after finishing my “major league hot dog” and Alaskan Amber, I made my way downstairs and squatted a high-rent seat behind third base, in the sun. Glorious. I watched the last two innings from another sweet spot behind home plate.




Mariners lost 6-1 -- it was tied after 7 innings -- but no matter. It was a great afternoon.

...

The big news in Seattle this week was supposed to be a massive traffic jam due to some construction on I-5, but people found other ways around and the nightmare never materialized. Mich observed that it's like when they predict a giant snowstorm; never a flake. The Seattle Times even started a special traffic blog named The Clog -- what a joke.

Even so, I decided not to risk driving just in case this was the day everyone returned to their cars; besides, it's expensive to park by Safeco Field during the day. So I took the bus in, and the West Seattle Water Taxi home.

The view from the water taxi leaving downtown Seattle:


Approaching West Seattle:


Coolio.

No comments: