Monday, September 24, 2007

Kaye Made me Jealous...

...So I had to go buy this little beauty:



What the hell is it, you say? It's the weirdest lens I've ever seen. I went shopping for macro lenses, only to discover that most Canon lenses that come with macros overlap the lenses I already have: There's a 50mm with macro, but I already have the awesome 50mm 1.4, which kicks ass. I like it, anyways. I took this shot with it, among others:



Tamron and Canon both make excellent 90 and 100 mm lenses with macros, but I already have the Canon 24-105, which is excellent. Then Canon and Tamron also both make excellent 180 mm lenses, but they cost $700 and $1200 respectively. Jeez.



A bit more reading on Steve's Digicams, The Digital Picture, Photo.net, and of course Amazon's comments, I discovered the 500D and 250D "lenses," which look just like filters. The D stands for the fact that they are actually (allegedly) two lenses fused together -- the single lens versions of these filters seem to create chromatic aberrations.

Here's a pic someone on flickr took with this puppy.


Thanks to Ellipses3 for the use of the photo.

Based on all the online evidence, it looks like the way to go. It will be here in five to nine days, so we'll see.

8 comments:

Mark said...

Huh?

Can I has cheezburger?

Michelle said...

man, a cheeseburger's sounding pretty good right now...

freda said...

what Mark said.

Beautiful pics.

Mark said...

So Freda, did you drive all the way up to Maryland already?

How bout an incremental on-the-road update? With photos!

Kate Cohen said...

hey -- it's funny, cuz Mark's spider post made me say the really do need that macro lens.


Looking closely, it's a beautiful world!

freda said...

hi Mark, no I'm flying this time, leaving Wednesday. So naturally my dishwasher developed a problem, and the guarentee runs out while I am away so I spent the morning on the phone looking for someone who could come over tomorrow to fix it before the deadline. I'm still busy packing, trying to get things in the right sequence, so that I can leave one case in Virginia while I make the quick trip over to Maryland. I finally found a bank off shore in the UK, so that I can deposit my pounds sterling and avoid the fees involved in changing them over to dollars. So I am collecting the paperwork I will need when I get to London. Wednesday when I arrive at Dulles I will go first to John's house in Virginia, drop off the big suitcase, borrow his car, go to Md. move Steve's family from Frederick to Rockville. Then Friday back to Virginia, and on Saturday off to the UK via Canada. back to work, ciao.

freda said...

by the way, I have been flying instead of driving for the past couple of years, since the price of gas went up so much that it is now cheaper to fly than to drive.

Mark said...

Wow, what a hectic schedule!

Have fun, and give everyone our best.