Sunday, September 23, 2007

Balbi Chicken

We never got an incremental update, dateline Eugene, Ore., where my mom lives, partly I'm guessing because she doesn't have a digital camera. But I also know she was busy this weekend hosting out-of-town company, the Balbis.

When I was a little kid my dad worked with Mr. Balbi, and our families were kind of work-friend friendly. The Balbis had a really nice cabin/vacation home on the American River near Lake Tahoe, and one summer when I was about 10 -- so this was maybe 1970 -- they invited us up to join them. I remember "In the Summertime," by Mungo Jerry, was on the radio every five minutes, and we all loved that stupid song. I think we spent a couple of days with the Balbis there and then they left and our family got to stick around for the rest of the week, picnicking at Lake Tahoe and lazing away long afternoons in the beautiful but freezing swimming hole in the river just below the cabin. I think of it still as one of my all-time favorite vacations.

One time, either on that trip or a weekend barbecue, Mrs. Balbi made a chicken dish with some kind of secret sauce that our entire family just loved. Mom wormed the recipe out of Mrs. Balbi and it entered our regular dinner rotation -- always known at our house as "Balbi Chicken."

So, years passed. Mr. Balbi changed jobs, we moved to Oregon, my dad eventually retired. After a long time my mom and Mrs. Balbi reconnected. "Do you still make Balbi Chicken," Mom asked her. Of course she had no idea what Mom was talking about. To her it was just a recipe, probably long forgotten by that point.

This weekend the Balbis were going to be visiting in Eugene. I told Mom to make them "Matassa Chicken" and see if they recognized it.

I hope to hear from her with an update soon. A photo would be Balbi gravy.

6 comments:

Michelle said...

That's hilarious. What a weird coincidence that I was playing In The Summertime today ...

Anonymous said...

Manuel and I make Balbi chicken all the time, so the recipe lives on. Equal parts ketchup, soy sauce and sugar. Marinate and baste the chicken while it bakes. Yum! Great with baked potatoes. Mich

Anonymous said...

Sorry I missed the incremental update. You had all the reasons right - no camara and hosting the Balbis.

I loved your rendition of the American River vacation. We re-hashed all of that. I even played the Mungo Jerry Summertime that you recently gave me.

The Balbi chicken story was worth repeating and they still got a kick out of it. I liked your 'Matassa Chicken' twist. Bev revealed that it was originally a recipe from an old Sunset Magazine. If anyone tries it, don't forget to include a splash of rum or sherry.

Your Update idea was great. M&M Blog has become a highlight of my un-eventful life

Anonymous said...

A splash of rum or sherry? Jeez, Mom, I can't believe you were holding out on me all these years!
Mich

Mark said...

I make it a little different:

Mix equal parts ketchup, soy sauce and sugar. In a separate container (and this is key), add rum or sherry, or perhaps gin. Throw out ketchup/soy mixture. Hold the chicken. Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Now I know why you have such a great smile...your hilarious thought-process never ends!